Stamped parts were used for mass produced bicycles in the 1890s. Stamping replaced die forging and machining, resulting in greatly reduced cost. Although not as strong as die forged parts, they were of good enough quality.
Stamped bicycle parts were being imported into the United States from Germany in 1890. U. S. companies then started to have stamping machines custom built by U.S. machine tool makers. Through research and development Western Wheel was able to stamp most bicycle parts.
Several automobile manufacturers adopted stamped parts before Ford Motor Company. Henry Ford resisted the recommendations of his engineers to use stamped parts, but when the company could not satisfy the demand with die forged parts, Ford was forced to use stampings.